As a full-experience agency completely, utterly, passionately focused on creating exceptional marketing, events, and creative, customer experience (also known as CX) is never far from our brains.
In fact, though CX is such an integral part of our brand that our account management team is called the Client Happiness team, we’ve declared 2021 the year of customer experience.
Why? Because we know that while customers still care about price and quality of products, a new factor in choosing between competing brands is the additional value of customer experience. Customers would rather invest more in a brand that focuses on their needs and constantly provides value beyond the initial purchase. They want an experience that makes them feel good about the action of purchasing with you, and they want that feeling to happen over and over again whenever encounter or use your product or experience.
There are many ways to make your brand more customer-focused. Consider the following statistics on customer experience to help you brainstorm new strategies for strengthening your customer experience team.
32 Customer Experience Stats to Know in 2021
The Importance of High-Quality Customer Experience
1. 90% of Americans use customer experience as a factor in deciding whether or not to do business with a company. (American Express)
2. Investing in new customers is between 5 and 25 times more expensive than retaining existing ones. (Invesp)
The Cost of Poor Customer Experience
3. The #1 reason customers switch to a new brand is feeling unappreciated. (New Voice Media)
4. It takes 12 positive customer experiences to make up for one negative experience. (Glance)
5. 78% of customers have backed out of a purchased due to a poor customer experience. (Glance)
The Power of Great Customer Experience
6. 73% of customers fall in love with a brand and remain loyal because of a friendly customer experience team. (RightNow)
7. 77% of customers would recommend a brand to a friend after having a single positive experience. (Temkin Group)
8. 93% of customers are likely to make repeat purchases with companies who offer excellent customer experience. (HubSpot Research)
The Frustrations Customers Face
9. 33% of customers are most frustrated by having to wait on hold. 33% are most frustrated by having to repeat themselves to multiple support reps (HubSpot Research).
10. 50% of customers believe their feedback doesn't go to anyone who can actually act on it. (Qualtrics)
11. A customer is four times more likely to switch a competitor if the problem they're having is service-based. (Bain and Company)
The Best Channels to Create a Positive Customer Experience
12. 54% of customers used email for customer experience last year, making it the most used digital channel for customer experience. (Forrester)
13. 62% of customers want to communicate with companies via email for customer experience. 48% want to use the phone, 42% live chat, and 36% "Contact Us" forms." (HubSpot Research)
14. Customers prefer knowledge bases over all other self-service channels. (Forrester)
15. Millenials prefer live chat for customer experience over every other communication channel. (Comm100)
Sharing Customer Experience Experiences
16. Happy American customers will share their positive experiences with about 11 people. (American Express)
17. Angry American customers will share their negative experiences with about 15 people. (American Express)
18. 35% of American customers post negative comments about companies on social media, but 53% post positive comments. (American Express).
19. 62% of customers say they share their bad experiences with others. (Salesforce Research)
The Business Opportunity of Positive Customer Experience
20. 80% of American customers are satisfied with the customer experience currently provided by their businesses (American Express).
21. Increasing customer retention rates by just 5% can increase profits by between 25% and 95%. (Bain and Company)
22. Businesses can grow revenues between 4% and 8% above their market when they prioritize better customer experience experiences. (Bain & Company)
23. 73% of companies with "above average" customer experiences perform better financially than their competitors. (Temkin Group)
Customer Experience Statistics
24. 70% of the customer's journey is based on how the customer feels they are being treated. (McKinsey)
25. Your online conversion rate can improve by roughly 8% when you include personalized consumer experiences. (Trust Pilot)
26. On average, customer experience agents only ask for a customer's name 21% of the time. (Glance)
27. 71% of consumers (age 16 - 24) believe that a quick response from your experience team can drastically improve their customer experience. (Comm100)
28. On average, companies that invest in their customer experience also observe an improvement in employee engagement by roughly 20%. (Mckinsey)
Customer Satisfaction Statistics
29. 90% of customers rate an "immediate" response as important or very important when they have a customer experience question. 60% of customers define "immediate" as 10 minutes or less. (HubSpot Research)
30. 87% of consumers believe that companies need to provide a more consistent customer experience. (Zendesk)
31. 35% of customers expect to be able to contact the same customer experience agent through any communication channel. (Zendesk)
32. 73% of consumers say that valuing their time is the most important thing a company can do when providing customer experience. (Forrester)
For more reasons to invest in your customer experience team, read about the importance of simply saying thank you to a customer.