In addition to everything else going on, I know many of you and your teams may also be trying to balance having kids at home full time on top of trying to retain some sense of normalcy in our jobs.
For that, we wanted to share some of the resources that were shared with all of us work from home parents to help keep your kids occupied and engaged while at home.
- Virtual Museum Tours - Google Arts and Culture offers online tours and exhibits of hundreds of museums around the world, including local museums such as the Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum and the Museum of Fine Arts. Children may also enjoy a virtual tour of The Boston Children's Museum and the Massachusetts State House.
- San Diego Zoo Live Cam - Check in on animals at their habitats at the San Diego Zoo, from Penguins to Pandas there is something for everyone.
- The Brooklyn Public Library - Check out the The Brooklyn Public Library's Calendar to see virtual programming via Facebook including books, songs and online games for kids and teens.
- Online Coloring - No access to a printer? Color virtually
- Go Noodle Channel - The Go Noodle Channel offers tons of kids dance lessons and yoga for kids to get active.
- Other Goose Curriculum (Ages 2-7) - Right now Other Goose is offering their 3 week, charter school-approved curriculum for ages 2-7 for free.
- Curriculum Associates - Offering free printable activity packets for grades K-8.
- Big Activities - Printable worksheets and activities.
- Scholastic Learn at Home
- Taronga Zoo Tour - Tour the Taronga Zoo in Sydney, Australia.
- New South Wales Play Group - Play group is a free meet up for parents and their children. This site offers activities for parents and kids.
- Skill Share - This service requires a subscription but there are many lessons for all ages and an entire section for kids.
- Coloring Book - Irish artists have released drawings for coloring including a free digital download of a Boss Lady Coloring Book.
- Little Beats from Home: There are live free mini classes on Instagram and Facebook - follow along to see the schedule.
- Fluency & Fitness - Reviews K-2 reading and math topics while providing a movement break. Now offering 3 weeks free!
- Live Animal Webcams - Multiple zoos and aquariums are offering live web cams to their animals and fish. The Cincinnati Zoo is taking it a step further offering a Facebook live stream every weekday at 3PM ET showcasing an animal in their exhibits and including an activity for kids to follow along at home.
- Storyline Online - Storyline streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children's books alongside creatively produced illustrations. Readers include Viola Davis, Chris Pine, Lily Tomlin, Keven Costner, Annette Bening, James Earl Jones, Betty White and dozens more.
- ReadWorks - Access thousands of high-quality, free K-12 articles and create online assignments. They are also offering a free webinar on Wednesday March 18, 12-1230PM ET called You, Your Child, & Remote Learning where parents can get tips on supporting child and teacher during remote learning, how to support reading comprehension growth at home, and how to get started with ReadWorks.
- National Geographic Kids
- Raz-Kids - Online guided reading program with interactive ebooks, downloadable books, and reading quizzes
- Khan Academy - Free online education courses in a variety of topics. Currently offering daily schedules for ages 4-18.
- Epic! - The leading digital library for kids 12 and under.
- BrainPOP - Animated educational site for Kids - Science, Social Studies, English, Math, Arts & Music, Health, and Technology.
- Audible - Listen to hundreds of kid-friendly stories for FREE. Offering audio titles across six different languages (English, Spanish, French, German, Italian and Japanese).
- 100 Ways to Play https://bostonchildrensmuseum.org/learning-resources/100-ways-play
Boston Children's Museum is closed, but you can still play. We have chosen 100 of our favorite Ways to Play, and we share them with you. See how many of these 100 Ways to Play you can try together!
- Beyond the Chalkboard http://www.beyondthechalkboard.org/
Beyond the Chalkboard is the work of a host of staff from Boston Children’s Museum, with additional contributions from educators from a number of organizations, as well as invaluable input from teachers in after-schools across Boston and Massachusetts.
- The Museum of Science knows this is a challenging time for many working families, so they are pleased to share two new online events from their EiE team that will help parents and kids have some smart fun at home:
- STEM Beyond Walls: Engineering Fun at Home
- STEM Beyond Walls: Developing Pre-K Problem Solvers
These are shared Google Docs. They are quite dense, so I attached the whole doc for folks to dig through at their leisure.
- [SHARED] Coronavirus indoor activities with kids
- WFH Resources
- School Closure-Resources for Families
- Online Educational Resources
- Amazon’s Momozonians ERG
- #COVIBOOK: Supporting and reassuring children around the world (multiple languages)
Finally, as you might know, Nifty Method is a certified Hubspot Solutions Partner. The Hubspot team share with us some internal live events and you can find the recordings below:
- Rainbow Phil - Re-celebrate Paddy's Day with Rainbow Phil as he performs live via Zoom. Tune in with your little one and enjoy an online show of singing and puppets! The highlight of the show will be his rendition of 'Rattlin Bog' which he hopes will have you all singing along at home! Recording of Rainbow Phil from March 17th is HERE.
- 4- to 8-year-olds: Learn About Outer Space with Faye - This interactive session will teach kids about outer space through storytelling, discussions and songs about a young boy and his adventures to space.
- Recording available here (skip ahead to 3 mins to get to the good stuff). Note that this is a local recording, however from tomorrow these recordings will be in a more accessible link format.
- Lesson 1 Resources: a) What Would I Take to Space.pdf b) Back to Earth with a Bump.pdf c) Back to Earth with a Pet.pdf
- Under 4's - 'Aliens Love Underpants' with Charlotte - This session will introduce the theme of outer space through the telling of a silly story about aliens and their underpants!
- Recording available here
- Lesson 1 Resources: a) Underpants Matching Game b) Pencil Control Activity Sheet c) Aliens Love Underpants Colouring Sheet
- 4- to 8-year-olds: Fun with Veggies! In this session, the children will learn not to judge others by their appearances and will encourage children to think positively about a range of vegetables. https://hubspot.zoom.us/j/828800483
- Recording available here
- Lesson 2 Resources: a) Carrot Club-powerpoint.ppt b) Carrot Club Coloring Pages.pdf
- Under 4's: Being Brave - The children will learn about bravery through the stories of The Cautious Caterpillar and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. https://hubspot.zoom.us/j/871105497
- Recording available here
- Lesson 2 Resources: a) The Lifecycle of a Butterfly b) The Cautious Caterpillar Stick Puppets c) The Cautious Caterpillar Scissor Cutting Skills Worksheet d) Cut and Stick Diary Sequencing e) My Worry Monster f) Courage Jar Activity Sheet
- 4-to-8-year-olds: Caring for our Environment - This session will cover the importance of looking after our environment through stories, games, activities and songs about The 3 R's. Zoom link: https://hubspot.zoom.us/j/828800483
- Recording available here
- Lesson 3 Resources: a) The-Messy-Maggie-Colouring-Pages.pdf b) Recycling-Sort-Activity.pdf c) I Recycle Song.pdf
- Under 4's: Exploring Similarities and Differences. Zoom link: https://hubspot.zoom.us/j/871105497
- Recording available soon.
- Lesson 3 Resources: a) Where in the World does Ronald the Rhino Live? b) Ronald the Rhino Cutting Skills c) Ronald the Rhino Colouring Pages d) Ronald's Song (ppt)